As the parent of a young child, I have thoroughly enjoyed creating holiday traditions for my family. One that we started when my daughter was quite young was an advent calendar, with an activity, treat, or tiny treasure each day leading up to Christmas. This year, we are looking forward to using these sweet mini stockings for our calendar.
Perfect for filling with little messages or treats, the stockings' small size makes them a wonderful project for using up fabric scraps and tiny bits of ribbon, ric-rac, or lace. Add some embroidery and create a treasured heirloom that your family will enjoy for years to come.
1. For each stocking, cut two mirrored stocking pieces and two lining pieces. If you wish, add decorative trim or embroidery at this point before sewing the stocking pieces together.
2. Tack a small loop of ribbon to the stocking piece. Position it along the top edge so that it is 3/8" (1cm) from the heel side of the stocking piece. Keep in mind that the loop should go on the back piece of the stocking, so take this into account if using different front and back fabric.
3. Fold the bottom edge of the stocking facing over 1/4" and hem in place. Note that the lining pieces are a wee bit narrower at the bottom edge, so make sure to hem the right part.
4. Right sides together, stitch a lining piece to each of the stocking pieces along the top edge using a 1/4" (3mm) seam allowance.
5. Open the lining pieces up so they extend from the top of the stocking pieces. Place the stocking pieces right sides together and sew all the way around the sides, foot, and toe of the stocking. Clip the seam allowance around the curves.
7. Fold the stocking right side out and tuck the lining into the stocking.
Repeat until you have as many little stockings as you would like.
There are many possible ways to display the stockings. Here, I have strung them on twigs and hung them with red ribbons:
Or, of course, they could also be hung by the chimney with care. Here, I've attached them to a ribbon with tiny clothespins.
With a diminutive size of roughly 14cm (5") from top to toe, they really are the perfect size for filling with tiny treasures.
We hope you enjoy making Mini Stockings - they are a fun little project, and can become quite addictive!
Please join us at the Twig + Tale Chat Facebook group to ask questions, look for inspiration, and share photos of your lovely projects.