Tie Back Boots Women's + Men's Material List
Exterior: Wool fabric, wool blends, denim, cord or other fabric with reasonable structure. If you use a softer fabric such as fleece, it will create a more slouchy boot. You can also use woolen blankets and felted sweaters for the exterior of your boots.
Lining: You can use pretty much any cosy fabric. Cotton, flannel, and fleece are all suitable. You can also use fluffy fabrics such as sherpa or shearling; however, you may need to go up a size.
Insoles: Soft comfortable fabric, such as wool from blankets or felted woolen sweaters.
Soles: I like to use leather or suede - I use an old skirt or jacket from the thrift store. You could also use denim or warmer, thicker fabrics and apply paint-on latex or another similar application to reduce slip.
You will need about a 1/2 yard (50 metre) of fabric for the exterior Heel + Toe
You will need about a 1/2 yard (50cm) of fabric for the lining Heel + Toe
You will need about a 1/2 yard (50cm) of fabric for the insole and outer sole combined.
If making the taller height boots- add an additional 8” (20cm) to your Heel + Toe amounts.
Other Supplies & Notions
- Spool of coordinating thread
- 6-8 Binder clips (approx 1” or 2.5cm) as pins will leave holes in your suede/leather
- You could use small pegs or magic clips
- Elastic, see notes below
- Scrap of ribbon or twill tape for loops
- Leather sewing machine needle if using medium or heavy weight leather for soles
- Tie Back boots need up to approx 40” (1m) of elastic for ties. I like to use cord elastic or even lace elastic if you are going for a more feminine look.
- For the internal elastic version you will need approx 8” (20cm) of 1/4” elastic. If you are using wider elastic or using lightweight fabric for the boots, you may need to add another 1-2” (2.5 - 5cm).
Return to the Adult Tie Back Boots Pattern