Nothing says cosy quite like a lovely, fuzzy hat. As it turns out, adding fur trim to the Pixie Hat is a simple, quick adjustment that yields beautiful, dramatic results. This technique could also be used to add a fur-trimmed hood to any of our patterns that feature a pixie hood, such as the Pathfinder Vest or the Pixie Pea Coat.
Our friend Tracy is a pro at working with faux fur. Luckily for us, she is willing to share her secrets for adding fuzzy trim to the Pixie Hat.
To determine the width of the faux fur strip, use the following formula:
X is the width you would like for the fur strip on the finished hat.
Fur cut: X + 5/8" (1.5cm)
So, for the fur strip, add 5/8" (1.5cm) to desired finished fur width to allow for seam allowances. For example, cut a 2 5/8" (6.6cm) strip for a 2" (5cm) finished fur strip or a 3 5/8" (9.2cm) strip for a 3" (7.6) finished fur strip on the final hat.
Remove from Main fabric: X - 1/4" (0.5cm)
For the Main fabric, remove 1/4" (0.5 cm) less than fur strip width from main fabric. For example, for a 2" (5 cm) finished fur strip, cut off 1 3/4" (4.4 cm). For a 3" (7.6 cm) finished fur strip, cut off 2 3/4" (7cm) from main hat fabric. This accounts for the width of the fur strip while leaving a 1/4" (0.5 cm) seam allowance for attaching the main fabric.
1. Cut off front main fabric (face portion) to account for desired width of the fur strip, as determined by the formula above.
2. Cut fur strip to desired width (using measurements determined above).
Here are the pieces cut and ready to go. Note that the lining piece is left as-is - cut a strip off the outer Main fabric only.
1. With Main fabric right sides together, sew ONLY the top seam (the seam the sits on the top of the head), using a 3/8" (1cm) seam allowance as indicated in the Pixie Hat pattern. Press seam open.
2. Attach the fur strip to the Main fabric with right sides together (in this photo, the fur strip is below the main fabric). Sew together with a 1/4" (0.5cm) seam allowance.
3. Finish sewing the hat as described in the Pixie Hat tutorial.
And that's it! Enjoy wearing a gorgeous, cosy new hat on your next adventure.
Thank you so much Tracy for sharing your method for adding faux fur trim to the Pixie Hat!
Tracy is a mom to 11 children (9 boys, 2 girls, one set of twins). She enjoys everything creative (and loves learning something new)! Tracey's favourite hobbies are sewing and photography. Being able to combine them and share with the world is her ultimate happiness!
You can find Tracy on Instagram at @day_of_the_dillards and on Facebook at Mountain Babies Co.