My little ones loves to pop things in her pocket, and a little elastic along the top helps to ensure they are still in place by the time we arrive home from our adventures.
Here's a simple modification to the side pocket in order to create a sweet little bubbly, elastic top pocket! This tutorial is shown on the Tree Climbers, but you could create something similar for the Barefoot Romper too.
1. Serge/overlock the top edge of the side pocket. Fold this top edge over, ensuring it is wider than the elastic you wish to use. I used 3/8" (1cm) wide elastic. Stitch down along the original row of stitches. If you don't have a serger/overlocker, simply turn down and press, then turn down again - to ensure you have a neat top edge.
2. Insert the elastic into the casing, and secure one end of the elastic, locking it into place.
3. Adjust the elastic until you have a good gather, and stitch the end in place. This does not need to be particularly tight - just enough to pull it in slightly and look sweet.
4. Trim the left over elastic close to the edges.
5. Press one of the side seams under by 3/8" (1cm). The other side and the bottom edge will be sewn into the side seam and bottom hem, so there is no need to press these other edges under. When you make the second pocket, just remember to press under the opposite side edge.
6. Align the non pressed edge of the pocket along the side seam. Lightly gather or pleat the bottom of the pocket to bubble it a little, and then pin it in place. I love linen so much - but gosh it looks wrinkled in photos!
7. Baste the bottom edge of the pocket in place with a 1/4" (6mm) seam allowance. Top-stitch the pressed under edge of the pocket onto the pantaloons. The other edges will be attached as you construct the pantaloons.
From here, continue sewing the pantaloons as shown in the sewing instructions in the pattern tutorial!
Jamie lives in a small town near the Rocky Mountains with her family. When she isn't sewing, she can be found on the porch with a good book and a warm cup of tea. You can find her at FirkusCircus.