Would you like to add a bit of extra cosiness to your Trailblazer Vest? The detachable hood is a quick, easy, and versatile addition. Snap it on for chilly days, or remove it when you don't want the bulk of a hood.
If you are using the hood pattern pieces from the Pathfinder Vest, they will require a small modification (see Step 2 below). If using the hood pattern pieces from the Forester Coat, use the pieces as-is with no modification (skip Step 2).
Cut hood pieces from exterior and lining fabrics. You may use either the round hood pieces, or the pixie hood pieces - both work well for making the detachable hood.
1. With right sides together, sew the hood outer and lining pieces together. Open hood pieces out so that lining and outer face each other.
2. If using the hood pieces from the Pathfinder Vest, trim the curved base of the hood straight across so that it is flat. If using the hood pieces from the Forester Coat, use as-is, without trimming the base.
3. Turning hood inside out so that right sides are facing once again, stitch along the bottom of the hood, leaving a gap of roughly 4" (10cm) to turn right side out.
4. Turn hood right side out and topstitch 1/8" (3mm) from the edges of the hood, closing the turning gap as you go.
5. Apply snaps, spaced evenly along bottom edge of hood, with smooth side of snaps to the exterior and the working part to the interior.
6. Use hood to mark snap placements along the collar of your completed vest, with working part of snap to the exterior.
7. Snap on that fancy new hood!
Are you planning to make a Trailblazer Vest? Please feel free to join us over at the Twig + Tale Chat Facebook group to ask questions, look for inspiration, cheer on other sewists, and share photos of your beautiful creations.
The Twig + Tale blog is home to a number of tutorials for customizing your Trailblazer Vest. Read more here:
Comments will be approved before showing up.