The A-Line Driftwood Dress has an easy, comfortable, slightly-flared silhouette that can be worn with or without a belt. A nice feature of A-line dresses is that they tend to require less fabric than dresses with gathered skirts, so this might be a good option if you have a garment to upcycle or a smaller cut of special fabric.
The A-Line is a "hack" of the original Women's Driftwood Dress and you can find the FREE A-Line Pattern Pieces here.
|110cm / 44" Fabric||80cm||85cm||85cm||90cm||90cm||90cm||90cm||90cm||90cm||90cm||90cm||70cm||70cm||70cm|
|130cm / 51" Fabric||55cm||60cm||60cm||70cm||70cm||70cm||70cm||80cm||85cm||90cm||95cm||95cm||95cm||65cm|
To begin, print and assemble the Driftwood A-Line Dress and belt loop pattern pieces. You can find the FREE A-Line Pattern Pieces here.
Affix the A-Line Dress paper pattern piece to the Blouse front/back piece, aligning the top of the A-line front piece with the "joining line".
- Cut out the dress as per the blouse instructions including inseam pockets if desired
- Cut 1 belt loop on the bias (45 degree angle to the grain line of the fabric)
- Cut 1 belt
Sewing the Belt Loops
- Cut out the belt loop piece.
- Press the long edges in 1/4" (6mm) towards the wrong side.
- Fold in half lengthwise and press.
- Stitch along the open edge with a 1/8" (3mm) seam allowance.
- Cut into two pieces, each being 10cm long. Put these aside and we will come back to them later.
Sewing the Belt
- Cut out the belt piece.
- Press in the shorts ends 1/4" (6mm) to the wrong side.
- Press the long edges 1/4" (6mm) to the wrong side.
- Fold in half length-wise and press.
- Stitch along the open edges with a 1/8" (3mm) seam allowance.
Sewing the Dress
- Sew the dress as per the blouse instructions up to step 30.
- Before sewing step 31, baste the belt loops to the sides of the dress at the location indicated by the notches on the pattern piece.
- Continue sewing the dress as per the blouse instructions until completed.
- Thread the belt through the belt loops, and voila - a gorgeous A-Line Driftwood Dress!
Find the FREE A-Line Pattern Pieces here.
Join us in the Twig + Tale Facebook group to ask questions, look for inspiration, and of course to share photos of your lovely T+T creations.
Read more about:
~ Lovely cover image by Angela Schade ~