The A-Line Driftwood Dress has an easy, comfortable, slightly-flared silhouette that can be worn with or without a belt. A nice feature of A-line dresses is that they tend to require less fabric than dresses with gathered skirts, so this might be a good option if you have a garment to upcycle or a smaller cut of special fabric.
The following chart gives the fabric requirements for a short-sleeved, a-line driftwood with a belt. To make a long-sleeved version, or a neck frill, add on the fabric requirement in the Driftwood pattern tutorial (see page 12).
To begin, print and assemble the Driftwood A-Line Dress and belt loop pattern pieces. Affix the A-Line Dress paper pattern piece to the Blouse front/back piece, aligning the underarm points.
2. Press the long edges in 1/4" (6mm) towards the wrong side.
3. Fold in half lengthwise and press.
4. Stitch along the open edge with a 1/8" (3mm) seam allowance.
5. Cut into two pieces, each being 10cm long. Put these aside and we will come back to them later.
Sewing the Belt
1. Cut out the belt piece.
2. Press in the shorts ends 1/4" (6mm) to the wrong side.
3. Press the long edges 1/4" (6mm) to the wrong side.
4. Fold in half length-wise and press.
Sewing the Dress
1. Sew the dress as per the blouse instructions up to step 30.
2. Before sewing step 31, baste the belt loops to the sides of the dress at the location indicated by the notches on the pattern piece.
3. Continue sewing the dress as per the blouse instructions until completed.
4. Thread the belt through the belt loops, and voila - a gorgeous A-Line Driftwood Dress!
Join us in the Twig + Tale Facebook group to ask questions, look for inspiration, and of course to share photos of your lovely T+T creations.
Read more about:
The Driftwood Necklines and Closures
The Driftwood Neck Ruffle
The Various Driftwood Dress Options
The Various Driftwood Sleeve Options
How to make a Ruffle sleeve Driftwood Blouse or Dress
How to make a Driftwood Maxi Dress
How to make a Driftwood Vintage Dress
~ Lovely cover image by Jocelyn Buggie ~
Comments will be approved before showing up.